- Polish nationalism is in power in Poland. This was clearly seen in the recent Polish nationalist march which was supported by PiS (Law and Justice).
- The ruling PiS (Law and Justice) party is never mentioned once! PiS has 40% support. The far right in Ukraine can’t get elected to parliament.
- Russia’s manipulation of anti-Ukrainian Polish nationalism.
- Destruction of Ukrainian monuments in Poland and Poland’s unwillingness to punish perpetrators. In Ukraine, those who have been caught damaging Polish monuments have been arrested and charged.
- 90, 000 deaths in Volhynia is a figure commonly used by the Polish side but not by Ukrainian historians or historians in the West. Paul R. Magocsi, for example, writes that 50, 000 Poles and 20, 000 Ukrainian deaths in the Polish-Ukrainian war in World War II.
- Umland writes “there were also Polish killings of Ukrainian civilians (mainly in the Chelm area)—though on a smaller scale.” This statement ignores and belittles the killing of Ukrainians throughout the borderlands. In Zakerzonne, Timothy Snyder says the number of killings was 5,000 Ukrainians to 1,000 Poles. Snyder also says the UPA (Ukrainian Insurgent Army) protected Ukrainians from Polish attacks in this region.
- Umland talks about Ukraine not fulfilling a 2010 European Parliament resolution. At the same time, he ignores Poland’s crisis in relations with the EU. Umland’s reference to European resolutions ignores the fact the EU is NOT offering Ukraine membership. How then can any Ukrainian action prevent EU membership that is not on offer?
- While always talking about Stepan Bandera, Umland never mentions the mythologizing around by the ruling PiS (Law and Justice) and official support given to Roman Dmowski while Bandera is not promoted by President Petro Poroshenko. Dmowski was a Polish fascist who was anti-Semitic, denied Ukrainians were a nation and pursued polices to assimilate and deport them. Dmowski has a prominent monument in central Warsaw where it is a rallying place for Polish nationalists. Bandera’s monument remains in Munich. No Ukrainian nationalist (including Bandera) denied that Poles were a nation.
Why is Yulia Tymoshenko’s MP Borys Tarasiuk giving employment to Umland who is the most prolific author attacking Ukrainian nationalism.